Building:
30 High Street
Barbers / (Star Public House)
SNAP Photo Date:
1992,

Records of this Public House go back to 1797 and it closed in 1980. It had land stretching to Marsh Lane with stables, workshops and cottages known as Star Gardens.
The building dates from the 17C when it had a shallow jetty beam on to the street. At the southern end of the beam a small head was carved, with a pointed beard, a pointed collar and a neat fitting helmet. The carving can be seen behind a small glass panel in the wall of the adjoining baker's shop.

 

Back to the Heritage Trail Map