Building:
127 High Street
Roddam House
SNAP Photo Date:
2010

Mary Selina Roddam; the local Florence Nightingale; founded Newport Nursing Association in 1893 to care for the sick and poor in the District. The house was the Nurses Home and a Maternity Home, with a Welfare Centre at the rear. Closed in 1952 by the NHS. The Roddam Charity was set up after the premises were sold to the Haberdashers Company in 1954, as an extension to Adams Grammar School.

 

Back to the Heritage Trail Map